The Volunteers in Public Safety Support (VIPPS) offers opportunity in character building, leadership, homeland security, police and fire response, emergent response and preparedness. Youth, ages 16 and older will be exposed to a range of public safety career options while gaining practical "hands-on" experience upon graduation from the training program. Completion of training will prepare participants to provide support to public safety forces during disasters as well as volunteer during special and routine events.
Extensive training curriculum including units on:
- Disaster preparedness
- Terrorism prevention and awareness
- CBRNE indicators
- First aid
- Public Health
- Children in Congregate
- Private Sector
- Interoperable communications
- Fire safety
- Light search and rescue operations
- Behavioral & Predictive Analysis
- Civilian Respons to Active Shooter Events
- Port Authority
- Incident Command Structure
- Ages: 16 and older
- Must be a Central Ohio resident with reliable transportation
- Must complete National Incident Command online courses 100b and 700a. You can access these by going to training.fema.gov/IS
- Completion of a satisfactory background check for those 18 and older.
- For details about the background check contact Sgt. Samual Byrd at 614-525-6317
Applications are currently being accepted.
If you would like to apply, please download and fill out the application and e-mail it to Sergeant Samuel Byrd (contact information is listed in the grey box on the right).
VIPSS Program Application