Volunteers in Public Safety Support
The Volunteers in Public Safety Support (VIPSS) course offers community members who've taken a strong interest in public safety a chance to continue their learning and practical experience by participating in an enhanced Public Safety Support Citizen Academy. Graduates of the VIPSS/Public Safety Support Citizen Academy will be called upon to provide support during times of emergencies or natural disasters as well as volunteer during special and routine events. Preference is given to those who have completed a citizens academy for their local police or fire agency.
Extensive six week training curriculum including units on:
- Disaster preparedness
- Terrorism prevention and awareness
- CBRNE indicators
- First aid
- Traffic control
- Interoperable communications
- Fire safety
- Light search and rescue operations
- Ages: 16 and older
- Must be a Central Ohio resident with reliable transportation
- Must complete National Incident Command online courses 100b, 200b, and 700a. You can access these by going to training.fema.gov/IS
- Completion of a satisfactory background check for those 18 and older. For details about the background check contact Sgt. Samual Byrd at 614-525-6317
Every Tuesday and Thursday beginning April 4, 2017 through May 11, 2017
6:00pm - 10:00pm
Hosted by the City of Gahanna
380 Granville St. St. Suite B
Gahanna, Ohio 43230
Application Deadline for applications are March 28, 2017 by 5:00 P.M.
If you would like to apply, please download and fill out the application and e-mail it to Sergeant Samuel Byrd (contact information is listed below).
Sergeant Samuel Byrd