PHONE SCAM ALERT!
Sheriff Dallas Baldwin warns Franklin County residents about a phone scam happening in your area. A male caller identifies himself as being from Franklin County Sheriff’s Office, and the victim needs to pay a fine for missing jury duty.
Sheriff Baldwin says, “The Franklin County Sheriff’s Office will NEVER contact a person and demand a payment, or threaten jail time.”
Some important safety tips:
- Don’t respond to phone calls, emails, faxes, or text messages threatening you with fines or jail if you don’t provide sensitive information immediately.
- Don’t provide personal information to an unsolicited phone call, email, fax, or text message – no matter how legitimate it seems.
- Monitor your bank accounts on a regular basis.
- Always ask for and wait until receive written material about any demand for payment.
- Get the caller’s name and contact information (name, business identity, telephone number, street address, and mailing address
- Never send money, or give out personal information such as credit card numbers and expiration dates, bank account numbers, date of birth, or social security numbers.
Contact the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office immediately at: (614) 525-3333.