Concealed Carry Permit
Concealed Carry Permit Office
410 South High St.
Columbus, Ohio 43215
Monday through Friday 7:00am till 5:00pm
Closed Saturday, Sunday and all Legal Holidays
CCW Applications and ATF Form 4 submissions are accepted by appointment only. To schedule an appointment, schedule online at http://fcsoccw.checkappointments.com. Emergency Applications do not need appointments.
How to Apply
To qualify for a CCW in Ohio, you must:
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Complete the required 8-hour course to obtain your Certificate of Competency.
Do NOT bring a firearm with you when applying for or picking up your license!
To obtain a Concealed Carry Weapon's (CCW) permit, first-time applicants must:
- Make an appointment with the concealed carry office.
- Fill out an application completely.
- Have a color photo, passport size 2"x2", taken within 30 days (many photo shops, drug stores, groceries, and similar businesses that handle photo development may be able to help you obtain this size photograph).
- Have a valid identification, driver's license, state I.D., or passport.
- Pass a criminal background check and mental competency check.
- Have an original Certificate of Competency or Prior Equivalent Documentation (We do not Keep the Certificate).
- Pay the non-refundable fee (cash, exact change only, cashier's check, or money order):
- $67.00 New
- $50.00 Renewal
- $37.00 Emergency
- Additional $24.00 for a FBI Background Check (If not an Ohio resident for last 5 years.)
- Submit to having your fingerprints electronically scanned or inked and rolled onto a card.
If you are a Franklin County Renewal, you will only need the following:
- An appointment
- Application filled out
- Your CHL permit
- Valid identification
- $50.00 Renewal fee
If you are a Renewal from another county in Ohio, in addition to the Franklin County Renewal List you will need a 2x2 photo for the application.
If you are changing your address or name you must report it to us within 30 Days. You may report the change by the following emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you have ever been prohibited from having a weapon under ORC Section 2923.125, you must provide court documentation granting relief for disability.
- Ohio Attorney General's Concealed Carry Page - This is the main page on the Attorney General's site with a complete list of available CCW resources.
- Ohio Attorney General's Concealed Carry Manual - This booklet, which summarizes Ohio's concealed handgun law, is required reading for all applicants for a concealed handgun license.
- Temporary Emergency Concealed Carry Handgun License - This is the application form to be filed for a temporary emergency license.
- Ohio Sheriffs By County - This is where you will apply for your CCW license.
- Ohio CCW Reciprocity Map - Map of the U.S. showing where your Ohio Concealed Handgun License is valid.
- Which states honor your license? - Up-to-date listing by state where a CCW license is valid.
- Constitution of the State of Ohio - Discover for yourself what the Ohio Constitution says about your CCW rights.