Applicants are subject to a background investigation which includes: review of criminal records, driving records, credit report, employment verifications, personal references, panel interview along with Computer Voice Stress Analysis. All applicants must pass a pre-employment exam, medical/physical exam, psychological exam, and drug screening.
Applicants with military or corrections experience, or a degree in criminal justice are preferred, but not required.
Applicants are reminded that providing false information and non-disclosure of information requested at any point in the process is grounds for removal from the hiring process.
Deputy Application Steps and Hiring Process:
- Complete the employment application in its entirety, click here. You will be emailed a voucher to take the National Testing Network (NTN) Corrections Pre-Employment examination free of charge unless you pre-qualify to move to Step 2. Voucher codes are emailed out once per week.
- Take the Corrections Pre-Employment examination with the National Testing Network (NTN), to visit their website, click here.
- Send the Franklin County Sheriff's Office your test scores. You must pass all four (4) sections of the test: Video, Reading, Counting, and Writing. For more information on passing scores, visit our Deputy FAQ or click here.
- We pull scores twice a month.
- The hiring process could take at least 6 months.
- You will be asked to self schedule to take the Physical Abilities Test (PAT) at our Training Academy.
- Complete the personal history questionnaire and background release forms, emailed to those who pass the NTN test; please fill them out in their entirety.
- Applicants with passing scores from the Phsycial Ablilities Test (PAT) will proceed to a background investigation (employment verification and personal reference checks, etc.) and Computer Voice Stress Analysis to verify history and information provided.
- Photographs and fingerprints are also taken.
- All information submitted will be reviewed to determine if job requirements can be met. Upon review and approval, the candidate may be set for a panel interview with FCSO Command Staff where Corrections competency based interview questions will be asked for evaluation.
- Those receiving conditional offers must pass a medical/physical exam to evaluate the applicant's fitness for duty along with submitting and passing a drug screening. Applicants must also pass a psychological evaluation. After this step, a formal offer may be extended.
- New Deputy Cadets: Will be assigned to the training academy and begin 10 weeks of training OR start directly in the correctional facility assigned to a Field Training Officer (FTO). Within the first year of employment those starting directly in Corrections will attend and must pass the 10-week training academy.
- Deputy probationary period is one (1) year.