Below are frequently asked questions submitted prior to the Civilian application process
I want to work for FCSO, how do I find out what vacancies are available at FCSO?
- Most vacancies will be listed on our application website, click here to visit. For our Deputy and Communication Technician (911-Dispatcher) positions, they will not be listed due to the pre-employment examination required first. For more information on our Deputy hiring process, click here. For our Communication Technician (911-Dispathcer) hiring process, click here. For our civilian careers information, click here.
Do you have a contact or email address where I can send my Resume?
- To ensure impartiality, Resumes will only be accepted with our online applications. We do not review to or respond to unsolicited resume submission through email.
What are the requirements for civilian careers?
- For our minimum qualification for civilian careers, click here.
- For additional requirement, please review all of our civilian careers, visit our civilian careers page, click here for our list of positions.
How to apply?
- Visit our application website, governmentjobs.com, click here.
- In the top right-hand corner, you will see "Sign In", either log in with your username and password or create your login and password.
- Please fill out all sections of the application in its entirety.
- Please Note: For information on applying for Patrol Communication Technician (911-Dispatcher), click here.
Logging in issues with governmentjobs.com website:
- If you are having trouble logging in or are having other issues with their website, please contact 855-524-5627.
Address and Phone number changes?
- Keep your contact information current with us! Changes in address, email address, or phone number must be provided to the Franklin County Sheriff's Office. Click here to visit our applicant website, governmentjobs.com, and log into your account.
- From there you can go to your account settings, change your contact information, and save your changes.
- IMPORTANT: We contact all applicants via email throughout the hiring process. If information is not current, it may result in you missing important updates regarding your application.
How do I know you have received my application?
- On our application website, governmentjobs.com, you will need to log in under your account, once you have logged into your account, in the top right-hand corner of the page, should be your name or account name. Click on it and a drop-down box will appear. Click on application. This will take you to another page that will show all of your job applications, if it says, "Application Received", then we have received your application.
What should I expect during the sheriff's office hiring process?
- We have different phases in our hiring process in our hiring process depending on which position you are looking to apply for.
- For our Civilian process, click here.
- For our Deputy process, click here.
- For our Communication Technician (911-Dispather) process, click here.
Is a college education required?
- For some of our civilian careers, a college education is required. Review any additional minimum qualifications in the position you are looking to apply or go to the civilian career page, or click here, to find the position information and any additional requirements.
Are there any age limitations?
- You must be 18 years old at the time of employment.
Are Lateral transfer accepted?
- Lateral transfers are not accepted.
- There is no residency requirement due to a decision by the Ohio Supreme Court.
Can I apply if I am attending school?
- Yes. However, you must do this while working around your school schedule.
What kind of growth opportunities are there at the Franklin County Sheriff's Office?
- There are many growth and career advancement opportunities in our Corrections Division along with our Administration, Employment and Managment Services, Investigations, Patrol, Recruitment, Diversity, Equity and Inclusoin, Security Operations, and Support Services Divisions.
I was not hired for a specific position. Will I be considered for other jobs at the Franklin County Sheriff's Office?
- We would be happy to consider you application again; if you are applying for the same position, we only accept application once every six (6) months. If it's for a different position, submit a completed application for each open position you are interested in via our application website, governmentjobs.com.
- Please Note: Our Deputy and Communication Technician (911-Dispatcher) positions require a pre-employment examination first. For our deputy pre-employment testing process, click here. For our Communication Technician (911-Dispatcher) pre-employment testing process, click here.
What's the best way to stay updated on job opportunities at the Franklin County Sheriff's Office?
- To stay updated you will need to go to our application website, governmentjobs.com. Once you have logged in, the top left-hand corner of the page, under "Menu", select "Class Specifications". Once you have located the job(s) that you have interested in, click on the job - a screen will appear with the job description information on it. If there is a green "Subscribe" button in the top right-hand corner, you are able to request a job interest card. The job interest card will trigger an email to you once the job has become available for applications.
- Please Note: For some of our positions, the job interest card is unavailable, and you will not see the green "Subscribe" button.
- If you are interested in our Deputy or Patrol Communication Technician (911-Dispatcher) positions, you will need to visit the minimum qualifications for details due to pre-employment examination requirements.
Can Active Duty, Reserve, or Military Veterans apply?
- YES! Military personnel and veterans who have, or are anticipated to have, an honorable discharge are eligible and encouraged to apply. General discharge and uncharacterized discharges are also accepted but reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Active military status personnel can apply but must be available when employment is scheduled to begin.
- Applicants who are discharged must submit their DD-214 (Member 4 copy) for discharge status verification.
If you are an interested applicant and live outside the State of Ohio or in active military status outside the State of Ohio and will have trouble traveling multiple times during the hiring process, please contact us at: 614-525-3397